Considering adding a 2nd dwelling?

by Genius Homes

Whether you’re after a Granny Flat, tourist accommodation, rental accommodation or just more room for visitors, Genius Homes has a design for you.

Some call it a sleepout, a minor dwelling or a granny flat, inserting a small home on the same section as an established house is a great way to make more room for a growing family or to generate income from rental accommodation. Here’s some important questions to ask before you start your 2nd dwelling journey.

What are the rules in my location?

In New Zealand, the overarching rules are from the Building Act 2004, plus there are various regulations of the building code, all administered by the Ministry of Business, Innovation and Employment – Building and Housing Group. Then each local authority runs the building consent process using district plans to decide what is allowed in each zone. Nope, it’s not simple; there is room for interpretation about what constitutes a second dwelling. 

Recommended article: How to make money from a second dwelling

In a nutshell, if the floor area of your accessory building is under 10 square metres, with no kitchen or bathroom, it probably won’t need permits. But if you include a bathroom or toilet in your accessory building, such as our self-contained, 1-bedroom Kiwi design (pictured below) you will need a building consent. If you want to add a kitchen or kitchenette, you will need a resource consent as well as the building consent. In some council areas, you also pay a development contributions fee and more rates because authorities consider that another household unit creates more load on the area’s infrastructure.second dwelling self-contained unitIt’s definitely worth asking your local council to find out what’s allowed in your area. Here are a few areas to give you an idea:

Selwyn District permits family flats as an accessory to the main dwelling are permitted, provided that they comply with the following restrictions:

• They must comply with the relevant bulk, location and relocation requirements for a dwelling on that site.
• They can be no more than 70 square metres in size (excluding any garage).
• They can only be lived in by someone of the same immediate family as someone in the main dwelling on the site.

In the Rural zone, the number of dwellings you can have on a site depends on the area of land held in that Certificate of Title. For example, in the Outer Plains, you are entitled to one dwelling per 20ha, so if a Certificate of Title contains 40ha, then two dwellings are permitted, provided that the relevant bulk and location requirements are met. For further details, visit the Selwyn District Council website. 

Waimakariri District Council allow 2nd dwellings to 75sqm but they must be within 30m of the main dwelling. There are also restrictions on the number of dwellings for the size of your land.

Timaru District Council allows 2nd dwellings in residential 1 Zones as long as there is 300sqm of area per dwelling. So if you want to add a 2nd dwelling to your section with an existing house your land area needs to be larger than 600sqm plus allowing extra space for access and driveway. The Timaru District Plan is available on the Timaru District Council website.

Also consider how your 2nd dwelling will be connected to services like sewage, water and electricity. If you’re in a rural location you may need a potable water supply such as rainwater or private water bore and an effluent disposal system.The genius homes team create great cabins or 2nd dwellings perfect to add to your siteGenius Homes offer full project management and the experienced team will organise the necessary building consents on your behalf, organise the connection to water, sewage and electricity services and let you know what restrictions apply to your area.

Will it affect my resale value?

Yes, say most real estate agents and property investment consultants. But in a good way. With housing prices stretching most buyers, a property with the option to spread the costs is appealing. Buyers can take on tenants to help pay the mortgage, or families can share a home – parents and kids selling two houses to buy one home and minor dwelling gives both parties a financial break. At the other end of the scale, families that employ a nanny or farming families can provide separate staff accommodation, or grown teens can escape into their own space.

Why Choose Prefabricated?

Genius Homes are built in our factory production line in Timaru and then transported to your site once complete.2nd dwelling for granny flat or rental incomeChoosing a prefabricated building minimises the disruption to your property and privacy. Genius Homes are prefabricated in our factory and then delivered and installed on your property – this means less mess on your property and builders and tradesmen are not there for long periods of time. Genius Homes are more affordable than many alternative building options as we are able to save you money with our smart and efficient factory-built system.

We have a wide range of 1-bedroom or 2-bedroom designs that are ideal for a 2nd dwelling. However keep in mind that our designs can also be customised to suit your requirements, including changing the size, floorplan layout and styling.

Genius Homes come complete inside and out so they will be painted in your choice of colours with floor coverings, kitchen and bathroom joinery and fixtures installed. 
download our free 2nd dwelling brochure today

filed under 2nd Dwelling , Property Investing

Sign up for our newsletter